- Upper School
Years of hard work and perseverance paid off for several McCallie students at the annual Upper School Awards Day celebrations, with Daniel Jeong named Valedictorian for the Class of 2021 and Alex Williams winning the Grayson Medal as the top overall student of the senior class.
Jeong, a day student from Lookout Mountain, Tennessee, finished with the highest grade point average in the class. During the assembly, Williams, from Chattanooga, was presented with the Grayson Medal, the highest honor bestowed on a member of the graduating class. Ethan Warrior, a boarding student from the Atlanta area, was named winner of the Campbell Memorial Award, recognizing the second most-esteemed member of the graduating class. Classmates of Jeong, Williams and Warrior gave each senior and the other award winners loud ovations during the two-day awards presentation, showing their respect for these exceptional young men.
Also bringing the Upper School to its feet was science teacher Debbie Lifsey being named winner of the Keo-Kio Distinguished Teacher award. Dozens of other students were recognized during the two-day awards presentations, from superior academic accomplishments to outstanding effort in athletics and extracurriculars, from character recognition awards for leadership to awards for service.
In addition, teachers and coaches were also recognized for the influence they have had on the lives of students. Will Givens, who lives and works as dorm faculty in North Hutcheson Dorm, was given the Faculty Residential Life Award, recognizing the dormitory advisor who has most positively influenced the residential community over the year. Coaches LaShandra Rivers and Rodney Stoker were named recipients of the Coaching for Character Award.
A photo gallery of the assemblies can be found here.
The complete list of 2021 McCallie Class Award winners:
- Grayson Memorial Medal: Alexander Bailey Williams
- Campbell Memorial Award: Ethan Reginald Warrior
- Walker Casey Award: Jacob Anthony Tremain
- Valedictorian: Seong-Min Daniel Jeong
- Don C. Peglar Award for Christian Leadership: Ethan Reginald Warrior
- J.P. McCallie Award for Christian Leadership: Daevyn Quinn Maurya
- Maurice Contor Award: William Henry Dobson
- Hanes Growth to Potential Award: Mason Chase Calhoun
- Gardner Spirit Award: Aaron Lamar Crowder
- F.M. McCallie Award for Community Service:
- Stephens Athletic Award: Eric Russell Rivers, Jr.
- Coaches Award for Athletic Excellence: James Alexander Whitworth
- Burns Modern Language Award: Boris Mikhailovich Khorentonenko
- Johnson Spanish Award: Lucas Boehnlein Gilbert
- Kent Memorial Latin Award: Levi Morris Lebovitz
- German Award: Morgan Brooks Shaw
- Chinese Language Award: Seong-Min Daniel Jeong
- Strang Memorial English Award: Jose Maria Osa
- Allison Memorial Geometry Award: Cameron Lee McIntyre
- Ware Calculus Award: Lucas Boehnlein Gilbert
- Brock Chemistry Award: Jingfan "Eason" Zhou
- Purdy Memorial Physics Award: Jun Kai "Jerick" Shi
- Award for Excellence in Biology: Ian Alexander Brunetz
- Bibb Memorial Bible Award: William Mitchell McGuire
- Parks Bible Award: Harry Chapple Carter
- Senior Art Awards: Christian Alexander Chilton, Kevin Smartt Ward, Jason Luke Nuttle
- D.A.R. History Medal: Turner McCoy Davidson, Ruize "Thomas" Yuan
- Forensics Award: Samuel Lewis Ellis
- Taliaferro Publications Award: Matthew Warren Yap
- Videography/Digital Media Award: Frank Bruce Stephens, Jr.
- Milligan Memorial F.C.A. Award: Adam Edward Polen
- Walker Dramatics Award: William Edward Hanley, Mason Chase Calhoun
- Kinser Music Award: Adel Advay Parambath
- National School Choral Award: Caleb Emanuel Olumofin
- Outdoor Award: Xiaoyu "Johnny" Tian
- Argonaut Creative Writing: Morgan Brooks Shaw
- Dr. T.E.P. Woods Awards for Academic Excellence: Ninth Grade: Harry Chapple Carter, Kohen Min Kilburn, Jude Mansour Rafai; Tenth Grade: James Jackson Darby, Anirudhha Sunitha Harsha, Owen Donald Scott Taggart, Ricardo Andres Wang-Polendo; Eleventh Grade: Thomas Jackson Blankenship, Lucas Boehnlein Gilbert, Levi Morris Lebovitz, Jackson Paul Scarbrough, Qijun "Jerry" Zhang
- Faculty Scholars: Samuel Joseph Barr, Connor MacKinnon Bronze, Turner McCoy Davidson, Bochao "Bill" Gu, Jack William Harris, Jiayi Li, Peter Gregorio Poggi, James Michael Sizemore III, Alexander Bailey Williams
- Keo-Kio Distinguished Teaching Award: Debbie Lifsey
- Faculty Residential Life Award: Will Givens
- Senior Award for Service to Residential Life: Brian Grayson Trowbridge
- Coaching for Character Award: LaShandra Rivers, Rodney Stoker
- Sportsmanship and Teammate Award: Adam Edward Polen, Emory James Taylor
- Coaches Award for Three-Sport Athletes: Eric Russell Rivers, Jr., Lauren Wylie McDonald
- awards day
- Campbell Award
- grayson medal
- McCallie School