Art is not just a fun diversion; it is a new way to think about expressing an idea to a specific audience in a way that moves, challenges, or comforts them.
The art department faculty works with boys from all ranges of ability, beginning at the most basic level and on the most basic artistic fundamentals, and growing with the boys at their pace, opening their eyes to new media and new means of creative expression. McCallie offers several courses in studio arts, including both 2-D and 3-D. These courses incorporate almost every artistic medium imaginable, from drawing and painting to sculpture, pottery, photography and advanced design. In addition, there is a faculty-led Video Club.
Students have had their photography displayed in the halls of Congress and in 2017-18, a student won a second place in the national Photographic Society of America contest in the Architecture category.
- VAR110 Art 1: 2-D Foundations
- VAR115 Art 1: 3-D Foundations
- VAR150 Art 1: Photography
- VAR160 Art 1: Visual Storytelling
- VAR170 Art 1: Filmmaking
- VAR180 Art 1: Graphic Design
- VAR210 Art 2: Intermediate 2-D
- VAR215 Art 2: Intermediate 3-D
- VAR250 Art 2: Intermediate Photography
- VAR280 Art 2: Intermediate Graphic Design
- VAR310 Art 3: Advanced 2-D
- VAR315 Art 3: Advanced 3-D