Job Openings @ McCallie School
Associate Headmaster for Business Administration, Strategy & Operations
Reporting to the Headmaster, the Associate Headmaster for Business Administration, Strategy & Operations is responsible for oversight of the School’s financial and business operations, including financial planning, budget development, investment management, physical plant administration, facility improvement, risk management, legal and insurance functions, human resources, and various service operations such as the bookstore and food services. Reporting to the Associate Head are the Executive Directors of Finance and Operations and the Director of Information Systems.
The Associate Head serves as a partner and key advisor to the Headmaster and is a member of the Head’s Administrative Council. The Associate Head also staffs the Trustee committees of finance, investment, audit/risk, and buildings/grounds.
Working closely with other senior colleagues, the Associate Head will oversee the planning, implementation and monitoring of the following:
- Operating and capital budgets, longterm financial planning, debt strategy and management, annual audit and tax reporting;
- Risk analysis and mitigation, support for human resource functions, employee benefit matters, legal and operational compliance;
- Investment decisions, asset allocation, periodic monitoring, cash flow to/from the School’s endowment accounts;
- Financial aid planning, modeling and strategy;
- Technological investments, assets and resources;
- Facilities management, continued development of the campus master plan, property acquisition, new building construction;
- Auxiliary services: food service management, bookstore operations.
The ongoing success of the School’s educational mission will require financial and administrative stewardship that is both thoughtful and prudent. The Associate Head will need to be a strategic thinker who has a disciplined voice for fiduciary responsibility. To be effective, the Associate Head must take the time to understand the many facets of the educational mission and the complex operational enterprise.
A more complete and thorough job description is available by clicking here (PDF)
Interested candidates should send cover letter and resume to Headmaster Lee Burns
. Director of Annual Giving
McCallie is seeking to hire an individual with experience to manage and execute key components of McCallie’s overall annual giving program, the Annual Sustaining Fund (the “ASF”). This person will have primary responsibility for:
- written communications, including direct mailings, and other written solicitations in support of the ASF throughout the fiscal year;
- the reunion giving program;
- the parent campaign;
- social media and other online campaigns; and
The Director of the Annual Sustaining Fund reports to and has support from the Associate Director of Development in the planning and implementation of the ASF strategic plan. He or she will also have support from other members of the development staff and may have oversight over at least one other development officer as needed to execute the responsibilities of this position.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualities and characteristics:
- a passion for and support of McCallie’s mission;
- a minimum of five years development experience, preferably with an annual giving program;
- bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university;
- effective fundraising skills;
- the willingness and ability to travel and to work some nights as necessary (primarily for out-of-town phonathons);
- an ability to write and speak well;
- excellent organizational skills;
- excellent interpersonal skills;
- excellent computer skills;
- the ability to inspire and motivate volunteers; and
- a willingness to perform additional responsibilities as reasonably necessary.
This is a full time position with benefits. Interested applicants should send a cover letter and a resume that includes at least three references to Penny Grant, the Director of Development
. The deadline for submitting applications is Monday, February 9, 2015. Competitive salary. Start date is negotiable.
Eighth Grade Physical Science Teacher
McCallie is seeking an 8th grade teacher for Physical Science. Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- bachelor's degree with a concentration in physical science (chemistry, physics, geology, astronomy);
- ability to provide a variety of lab experiences for students;
- willingness to work with students outside the classroom to promote science education (e.g., science fair, Science Bowl, Science Olympiad); and
- expertise and desire to coach at the middle school level, particularly soccer.
Candidates must possess the following characteristics:
- enjoy teaching and working with middle school boys;
- a desire and ability to connect with students;
- ability to provide a variety of learning experiences for students with different levels of achievement and skills; and
- desire to work collaboratively with a team of teachers.
Qualified applicants should send a resume including a college transcript to Janet Best at her email address
or mail to: McCallie School, 500 Dodds Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37404.